[hts-users:00064] Re: HTS voice output problems

Hi Nicholas,

Nicholas Volk wrote:

I put a sample file in http://www.bitlips.fi/HTS/ms_272_16.raw
(sample rate 16000, Lin16, Mono, Little Endian).
As you can see (probably not hear ;) there are some pitch period
like areas in the file. (The reason they have nothing above 5500KHz
is that I upsamples my training data from 11K to 16K.)
Most of the file is however problematic: very low noise and clicks,
no speech. Any ideas what causes this would be appreciated.

I can't hear this file.
I think you can try to train HMM without upsampling.
By modifying some part of HTS-demo/scripts/Training.in and HTS-demo_.../scripts/mkdata.in,
you can run the training script on 55000 Hz sampling.
If you want to use hts_engine for synthesis, defaults.h should also be modified.

I used only 90 sentences as the training material while experimenting
(due to speed). Is the small training data the reason for this?

I don't think so.
Some of my colleagues trained HMMs with less than 50 utterances.
Synthesized speech from these HMMs were intelligible.
(Actually, speaker of this experiment was very good.)

BTW: There seems to be an error in HTS_ARCTIC's lab_format.pdf.
The PDF says that there's an underscore '_' between i1 and i2.
It probably should be an equal-sign '='?
At least that what utt2lab puts there.

Oops, it's my mistake.
We'll fix it in the next release.
Thank you very much.

Heiga Zen (Byung-Ha Chun)

  Heiga Zen     (in Japanese pronunciation)
  Byung-Ha Chun (in Korean pronunciation)

  Graduate School of Engineering
  Nagoya Institute of Technology
  Japan