[hts-users:01292] Re: Duration Modelling

Paco Pinto wrote:

Shouldn't all the questions be made in all the data subspaces ?

No.

The questions to be asked in the tree, and the orders in which they are asked down each branch of the tree, are learned from data. They are chosen from a potentially long list of questions about the features (A, B, and C, in your example)

In your example tree, if A is false, then the next question that you should ask is about C, not B. This question ordering was chosen during learning because it maximised some objective function.

If you asked all the questions on all branches of the tree, all you would have would be a lookup table with one entry for every unique combination of A, B, and C. This would probably not work well in speech & language tasks, because we would typically not see all possible combinations of features in any finite training data set, so there would be many entries in the table that we could not estimate a value for.

The decision tree solves this sparsity problem by effectively collapsing together certain rows or columns of this multi-dimensional table, so that it has fewer entries, and can therefore be estimated from a finite amount of data.

Decisions trees have the advantages of simplicity, low computational cost and being human readable, but they do have a significant weakness in that they subdivide the data set into ever small partitions during learning. Nevertheless, they often perform very well (e.g., letter-to-sound models).

Simon