[hts-users:01388] Re: HTS License

Heiga ZEN (Byung Ha CHUN) wrote:
How about describing
 > /* Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to use and         */
 > /* distribute this software and its documentation without           */
 > /* restriction, including without limitation the rights to use,     */
 > /* copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, sublicense, and/or     */
 > /* sell copies of this work, and to permit persons to whom this     */
 > /* work is furnished to do so, [...]

these kind of things in the README file and attaching the simplified BSD license to the source codes?

Indeed, that would help the users understand the license directly
instead of asking questions on the mailing list ;-) or looking
for more precise information on the internet.

(E.g.:
  http://www.linfo.org/bsdlicense.html
  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BSD_license
)

Originally I was worried that the BSD license could be attacked in
the case of commercial use because it doesn't explicitly mention
the right to sell the code, but after some research it appears
that BSD-licensed code is used into Microsoft and Apple products,
so it would probably be difficult to make a rule case against it
nowadays.

What is the special reason to switch to the BSD license?
Did you have problems with the original HTS one?

Thanks and best regards;
                                -*- Sacha K. -*-
--
Dr.Sacha Krstulovic - Research Engineer
Toshiba Research Europe Limited

begin:vcard
fn:Sacha Krstulovic
n:Krstulovic;Sacha
org:Toshiba Research Europe Limited - Cambridge Research Laboratory;Speech Technology Group
adr:;;260 Science Park, Milton Road;Cambridge;;CB4 0WE;United Kingdom
email;internet:sacha@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
title:Research Engineer
tel;work:+44 1223 436 978
tel;fax:+44 1223 436 909