[hts-users:01750] A question about MSD-HMM

Hi all,

I have a fundamental question about the MSD-HMM. In the f0 modeling case, a MSD-HMM state could output a unvoiced observation in a certain probability and a voiced observation in a certain probability density respectively. What perplexes me is the mathematical comparability between probability and probability density. Subsequently, this arouses two concrete question as follows.

1. How could we tell which is bigger, the likelihood of a state generating a voiced value represented by probability density which can be larger than 1(even it has been multiplied with the space weight), and the probability of the unvoiced symbol which is definitely less than 1. Just by space weight?

2. What's the mathematical meaning of the likelihood of a state sequence generating a f0 observation sequence, namely
(probabilty) x (probability density) x (probability density) x (probabilty) ...

Though MSD-HMM is implemented successfully, I am still glad to hear a explanation about these or what I have misunderstood.

Thanks and regards,

Xian Xingchi