[hts-users:01843] Re: Where to start with HTS

IMO a good starting point is to analyze and understand
the HTS demo scripts, e.g.,
 http://hts.sp.nitech.ac.jp/archives/2.1/HTS-demo_CMU-ARCTIC-SLT.tar.bz2
They contain some examples of both training the models and
running hts_engine. Then you can also use the HTK book as
a reference to learn to train and use HMMs with the HTS/HTK modules.

One crucial point to understand is that HTS doesn't come with
a text analysis front-end (the function Festival is used for
in the demos) so for synthesizing any new language you will
have to provide an external front-end. The front-end is the part
which goes from the text to the full-context labels. So you need
HTK/HTS to train the full-context models and hts_engine
(or HMGenS+SPTK) to synthesize speech, but for both you need
your own separate front-end. Using Festival as a front-end is
an option if Festival covers your language or if you are
familiar with programming in LISP/Scheme. Otherwise you
will have to provide your own front-end.

All this requires a fair bit of reading and self-teaching
about HMM synthesis. Many very good publications are available,
e.g., trough the HTS homepage, and again the HTS demos are
a very good example of the whole process. The mailing list
will help if you get stuck with precise technical points,
but it won't replace a well-grounded general understanding
of the method and tools.

HTH;

-*- Sacha K. -*-

Mohamed Abdou wrote:
Hi all,
I wonder where to start to try running HTS to synthesis speech, and do I need HTK if I am dealing with hts_engine or only Festival. Another thing is there a demo same like chpater 3 in htk book showing an exmaple running hts_engine knowing that I am working on a new language and prepared my speech database.
 Thanks in Advnce
M. Abdou

Discover the new Windows Vista Learn more! <http://search.msn.com/results.aspx?q=windows+vista&mkt=en-US&form=QBRE>

Dr.Sacha Krstulovic - Research Engineer
Toshiba Research Europe Limited
Cambridge Research Laboratory
Speech Technology Group
208 Science Park, Milton Road
Cambridge CB4 0GZ - United Kingdom
Tel:    +44 1223 436 978
Fax:    +44 1223 436 909
E-mail: sacha@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

begin:vcard
fn:Sacha Krstulovic
n:Krstulovic;Sacha
org:Toshiba Research Europe Limited - Cambridge Research Laboratory;Speech Technology Group
adr:;;260 Science Park, Milton Road;Cambridge;;CB4 0WE;United Kingdom
email;internet:sacha@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
title:Research Engineer
tel;work:+44 1223 436 978
tel;fax:+44 1223 436 909