[hts-users:02614] Vacancy

Hi all,

We would like to announce an open postdoc position in speech synthesis,
voice reconstruction and personalised voice communication aids at
University of Edinburgh.

I would appreciate if you would forward this email to anyone who
would be interested in the following announcement.

Regards,
Junichi Yamagishi

An Open Position for Postdoctoral Research Associate

The Centre for Speech Technology Research (CSTR)
University of Edinburgh

Job Description
The School of Informatics at the University of Edinburgh invites applications
for the post of Postdoctoral Research Associate on a project concerning voice
reconstruction and personalised voice communication aids. The project will
develop clinical applications of speaker-adaptive statistical text-to-speech
synthesis in collaboration with the Euan MacDonald Centre, who are funding
this project. Applications include the reconstruction of voices of patients who
have disordered speech as a consequence of Motor Neurone Disease, by using
statistical parametric model adaptation. The project will also investigate
better voice reconstruction methods.

You will be part of a dynamic and creative research team within the Centre for
Speech Technology Research, at the forefront of developments in statistical
speech synthesis. The application of statistical parametric speech synthesis
to clinical applications such as voice banking, voice reconstruction and
assistive devices, is an exciting new development and an area in which we
expect to have increased research activity in the coming years. We are
seeking additional long-term funding for this work and there may be the
possibility of extending this Research Associate position.

Person Specification
You have (or will be near completion of) a PhD in speech processing, computer
science, cognitive science, linguistics, engineering, mathematics,
or a related discipline.

You will have the necessary programming ability to conduct research in this area,
a background in statistical modelling using Hidden Markov Models and
strong experimental planning and execution skills.

A background in one or more of the following areas is also desirable: statistical
parametric text-to-speech synthesis using HMMs and HSMMs; speaker adaptation using
the MLLR or MAP family of techniques; familiarity with software tools including
HTK, HTS, Festival; ability to implement web applications.; Familiarity with
the issues surrounding degenerative diseases which affect speech, Motor Neurone
Disease, Parkinson's disease, Cerebral Palsy or Multiple Sclerosis are is desirable.

For further information, see
http://www.jobs.ed.ac.uk/vacancies/index.cfm?fuseaction=vacancies.detail&vacancy_ref=3013390

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.