[hts-users:02866] Question about duration model structure

Dear HTS developers:

As Dr. ZEN said in http://hts.sp.nitech.ac.jp/hts-users/spool/2007/msg00680.html

"In the previous versions we used a multi-variate Gaussian PDF to represent state duration PDFs.
However, since version 2.0.1 we have changed it to multi-stream structure."

I'm confused about why are you making the decision that using multi-stream structure instead of multi-variate Gaussian PDF?
Can someone make a brief explanation about the advantages of using a multi-stream structure?

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,
Zhu Fengyun
Speech and Hearing Research Center
Department of Intelligent Science and Technology
School of Infomation Science and Technology
Peking University
Beijing, China