[hts-users:03862] Jobs: Postdoctoral Research Positions in Speech Synthesis and Recognition, University of Edinburgh

[apologies for duplicate postings; please circulate on your local mailing lists]

Postdoctoral Research Positions
The Centre for Speech Technology Research
University of Edinburgh
http://www.cstr.ed.ac.uk/opportunities/

Closing date: 18th November 2013

We have open postdoctoral research positions in speech recognition and speech synthesis, which are part of the large UK project "Natural Speech Technology", http://www.natural-speech-technology.org.

The topics of research to be undertaken in these positions is flexible. We encourage applicants with their own research agenda, provided that it fits within the objective of the project, which is to advance the state of the art in speech technology by making it more natural, approaching human levels of reliability, adaptability, and conversational richness.

SPEECH SYNTHESIS:  Our specific interests in speech synthesis include - but are not limited to - the following:

* Machine learning for vocoding.
* Fluent speech synthesis.
* Shallow stochastic natural language generation to improve fluency.
* Beyond decision tree parameter tying, including neural network approaches or tree intersect models.
* Use of synthetic speech in assistive technologies.

SPEECH RECOGNITION:  Our specific interests in speech recognition include - but are not limited to - the following:

* Wide domain coverage and models which make use of rich contexts.
* Cross-lingual speech recognition.
* Neural network models.
* Adaptation and canonical modelling techniques for acoustic or language modelling.
* Distant speech recognition.
* Approaches based on models incorporating articulatory data.

The Centre for Speech Technology Research (CSTR) is an exciting, vibrant, interdisciplinary research centre and a great place to work. We are part of the University of Edinburgh (QS world ranking 17th) linking the world-class subject areas of informatics / computer science (QS world ranking 15th) and linguistics (QS world ranking 5th)

Founded in 1984, CSTR is concerned with research in all areas of speech technology including speech recognition, speech synthesis, speech signal processing, information access, multimodal interfaces and dialogue systems. We have many significant collaborations with the wider community of researchers in speech science, language, cognition and machine learning for which Edinburgh is renowned, and a wide network of collaborators across the globe.

For further details, and links to the online application procedure please visit http://www.cstr.ed.ac.uk/opportunities/

Informal enquiries about these positions should be made to Prof Steve Renals (s.renals@xxxxxxxx) or to Prof Simon King (Simon.King@xxxxxxxx).

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.