[hts-users:03957] Re: Intelligibility

thanks for your guidance.
help
i want to check the intelligibility of synthesis speech by both subjective and objective intelligibility test. for Objective intelligibility test i was thinking to calculate SII. can you give me idea that which objective test is better to check the intelligibility of synthesis speech.

On Tue, Nov 26, 2013 at 6:31 PM, Simon King <Simon.King@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 26 Nov 2013, at 08:21, Muhammad Shoaib Ali wrote:

> i have generated the speech using HTS. Now i want to calculate the intelligibility of my generated voice i.e the subjective intelligibility . how can i calculate "Speech Intelligibility Index (SII)" of my generated speech.

For 'subjective intelligibility' you need to run a listening test; the protocol used in the Blizzard Challenge is a typical way to do this:

e.g., http://www.synsig.org/index.php/Blizzard_Challenge_2013

(this SynSIG site is down for maintenance, but should be back soon; in the meantime you can get the papers from festvox.org)

To calculate SII, which is not a subjective measure but a physical measurement directly on the signal, you need a software implementation of the ANSI standard, such as the ones from http://www.sii.to or elsewhere.

But you must exercise caution - SII is designed for (degraded) natural speech, not synthetic speech in clean conditions. It is not a replacement for a listening test. For some papers which examine its correlation with subjective intelligibility under various conditions, try

http://listening-talker.org/publications.html

but again note that the focus there was on speech degraded by the presence of additive noise, which may not match your situation.

regards,
Simon

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.

--

Regards
M Shoaib Ali