[hts-users:04138] Re: Dealing with "metallic" sounding of some consonants in HTS

Hi Ilya,

Another problem with the HTS-demo pulse-noise excitation is that it has a fixed maximum voiced frequency (MVF) of 6 kHz - below this the excitation is voiced, and above it unvoiced.

There is a recent paper showing that using a dynamically changing maximum voiced frequency can be beneficial:

T.Drugman, T. Raitio, Excitation Modeling for HMM-based Speech Synthesis: Breaking Down the Impact of Periodic and Aperiodic Components, ICASSP 2014,
http://tcts.fpms.ac.be/~drugman/files/ICASSP14_Excitation.pdf

Best,
Tamas